Functioning of Air curtain: -
The functioning of an air curtain is based on a high-velocity jet of air that covers all entrances. In air curtain air jets need to be placed on the top, which divides warm and cold areas into two thermal zones. So the air curtain keeps the internal environment at a comfortable warm temperature and avoids cold air penetration from outside. Effective positioning of the air curtain saves up to 80% of the energy and improves effectiveness.
The technology of Air Curtain: -
As per the law of physics, air tends to flow for equalizing temperature and pressure difference between two sides. To control this air transfer high velocity of air is used as an air curtain on exchange points. Basically, air transfer on doorways happens due to these 3 factors:
Temperature difference: is the natural convection effect that creates an air transfer between two areas with temperature difference.
Pressure difference: Air has a movement tendency in pressure difference area. So it is recommended to equilibrate the pressure difference as much as possible because it affects the air curtain performance. But in some installations like clean zones, a little pressure difference helps to prevent the particles from entering from outside.
Wind, stack effect, and draughts: One can modify air-jet strength and the outlet discharge angle, which helps in working against forced-air movements like wind or draughts. But if the velocity of the incoming air is excessive the air curtain will become less efficient.
Benefits of Air Curtains: -
Air curtain is a classy example of technology that has replaced costly and ineffective products. We classify air curtains advantages in 4 groups:
Profitability enhancement -
- Sales increase due to the “open door effect”. It is known that when doors are open, people affluence increases substantially due to visibility and accessibility.
- Reduce discomfort due to sensations of draughts
- Increases available usable space on entrances
- Increases customers and staff comfort
Hygiene enhancement -
- Helps maintain an adequate environment
- Pest and insect control
- Barrier against airborne dust, pollution, fumes, and bad odors
Reduction in energy consumption -
- Reduces the energy losses from the conditioned space and in turn load on the central plant (heating/cooling)
Enhancement in safety -
- In cold rooms reduces misting, dry out the doorway, and prevents ice from forming on floors
- Easy evacuation through the exit doorway in case of fire or emergency
- Act as a barrier against fire smoke (special application)
In conclusion, on open doorways, it is highly recommended to use an air curtain because of the many benefits. One should only care about the proper choice as per requirement. Cosyst Devices' deep knowledge in this technology will always help you in getting the best product as per requirement.
Common places where air curtains are installed:
Theme parks, sports
To Get Quick Quote Call Now +91 7292003326